Mike Burroughs’ 1988 BMW 635CSi


Mike Burroughs is a world class automotive photographer and proud owner of his 1988 BMW 635CSi. When considering working with Mike (for photography purposes), I was fishing through his Flickr and came across a relatively rare BMW that he seemed to photograph multiple times. I quickly found that it was his own ride and when I contacted him about it, he was more than happy to talk.

Continue reading after the jump!

There is nothing too extraordinary about Mike’s car, but in a sense, that’s what makes it so special. It’s clean, sleek and keeps a low profile. I found that it may take you some time to fall in love with this car, but once you do, there’s no going back. I went ahead and did a small interview with Mike and this is what we came up with:

What is the make, model and year of your car?

It’s a 1988 BMW 635CSi. It’s badged an L6 from the dealer it came from, however, the L6’s production was ceased in 1987. It was badged an L6 due to it having all of the L6 options (being an entirely leather wrapped interior, including the headliner, center console, shift surround, glove box, and everything else short of the carpet).

How long have you had it?

I’ve owned the car since January. I bought it stock from a fellow BMW enthusiast in Winchester TN, just after a friend wrecked my old ‘85 535i. It’s my “daily driver”.

Does it have a nickname?

No nickname yet, just “the 6″. No one else I know has one, and it’s not a common car, so “6″ says enough.

What is the theme of your car?

There’s no real theme, just low and classy. Perfect fitment is my eventual goal, but prime wheels and a good stance is the “theme” if there is one.

What was your first car?

My first car was an S10, but it wasn’t long before I made the leap to BMWs.

Any wild stories about your Bimmer?

None yet, aside from a few “small” things here and there. I’ve been pulled over for “throwing sparks” due to the ride height. The exhaust clips interstate reflectors quite regularly. Pretty uneventful ownership thus far. My car has been to the Netherlands though. The original owner shipped it over there during his military duty. That’s probably the most exciting bit about it.

What are your current modifications?

BBS RS285/286 (18×8.5 and 18×9.5 et13) allow the 6 to roll, while it’s held up by a custom mashup of parts (Ground Control, HyperCo, and thanks to Rob Case) to produce the lowest coil over possible (they’re all the way up). That’s about it. The basics, such as an exhaust and other small things, but we all know that’s not what makes a car.

What is your favorite aspect of the BMW?

My favorite aspect is the lines of the 6. BMW should be commended on their design- it’s what defines BMWs of the ’80s. Its classic, and I think in 20 years more people will look back and really see the importance of the specific model in the future. I just did what I thought accentuated those lines the best.

Some people hate BMWs and others love them. There really is no “in between”. But I think that we all can agree that Mike has most definitely set a great example for the car community at large with his brilliantly conceived 635CSi. This car truly proves that less is indeed more.

Mike currently does not have a CarDomain page. Who wants to help me pressure him into getting one?

Photography by the very talented and self-taught Mike Burroughs.



Related posts:



Related posts:



Share this post!

Bookmark and Share

0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий